Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Time Flies When Your Having Fun

Time really does fly, and I'm not sure "having fun" has much to do with it. I think it just flies in general.
So here's the deal with what's been going on. We came home a few days before Thanksgiving with then intention of staying home about a week and a half, but really no more. We wanted to get a couple weeks work in before Christmas.
So on the Monday about a week and a half after Thanksgiving, we were waiting for our broker to get in the office (they are two hours behind us) and while we were waiting, Malcolm went out to look things over again and make sure the truck was ready to roll.
And he found antifreeze in the oil. Don't ask me how trucks break when they are parked in the yard. It happens a lot and I can't explain it.
It has been quite a shock, a bit of a blow. Like a sucker punch to the gut kind of feeling. At least it was for a few days. Then we just moved on because what else can you do.
Where am I now? Well, its a week after New Years and I am sitting at my kitchen table.
Yep, we're STILL home!
We got the truck back from the shop Saturday, but had to take it back in yesterday for them to fix something that got messed up in the shop. Otherwise, when we finally get rolling, we should be good as new...literally!
See all the pretty shiny new yellow? That my friends is a $22,000 Christmas present! It should have taken a week, but once they got the engine rebuilt, they had a problem with one of the factory parts. But they couldn't figure out which part it was. They had to totally disassemble the whole thing a second time and go through it. They finally got it going good though, and once they get our alternator fixed (they accidentally fried it), we'll be good to go! And go we hopefully will do! SOON! Before we go broke!
So what does one do with 6 weeks off work? No need for worry! We have not sat around here bored! Aside from the trauma of having to do an unexpected engine rebuild, we've had a blast!!!

And so have the girls. They took the news very well!
And then Paris tried to hide the phone so that we couldn't get the call when the truck was ready. I think she just figured we'd stay home indefinitely that way.
The girls have spent most of their time at home here, in front of their fire.
Malcolm and I have done other things.
I spent some time working on quilting projects,
and also made some of my wine bottle candles.
I had so much fun making candles, and then I finally got my Etsy shop opened and listed my candles for sale.
We also did some work outside around the farm. We have several large brush piles from where Malcolm had been cleaning hedge out of the fence rows. So we burned some of them.
Three weeks later, the one behind the house is still leaking smoke, even though it's had rain poured on it three times since burning. It even flared up into flames for an hour or so the other evening. It's been kind of entertaining watching it, and now I have a better understanding of how wild fires can flare back up long after having burned out.
In general, we've just been staying busy around the house and farm, enjoying being here and getting to work on things other than the truck.
We've also spent time with family. Our oldest niece, Bentlee, made the school basketball team. So we went to her first game, which they won!

We've spent time visiting with Mom and Dad. And Mom's been busy making new clothes for the girls. Here's one of her projects, a lovely crocheted coat for Ella.
I did some things inside, other than just play. Take the living room with the wood stove for instance. At some point there was fire board all over the walls in that room. And then at some point they ripped it off. But it left paper and glue residue all over the walls and ceiling, which they started to clean, but didn't finish the job.
So I restarted it.
It is a slow job, and I'm not going to finish it this trip home. I dread the ceiling. It's going to be hardest. But when it's all said and done, it will all be as lovely as the wall that was cleaned by the previous owners.
That gets us up to the holidays!
The extended family takes turns hosting Christmas, and this year we gathered at Mom and Dad's. We do a Christmas Eve brunch with the extended family, so that everyone can be home with their closest kin on Christmas day. When we arrived, before the rest of the family, Mom and Dad were busy making Granny's fried apple pies. So Malcolm jumped right in to assist, while Mom and I went to take care of last minute details in other parts of the house.
We ate and visited and had lots of laughs during our traditional Chinese Auction gift exchange.
On Christmas day, Mom, Dad, and Grandma came up here to our house and we just relaxed and ate and visited. My brother's family went to his in-laws, and my sister's family stayed in Nashville with her in-laws.  This is they way we've started spending our Christmas.
And then we reserve New Years Eve and Day for our family gathering, which I've come to really enjoy and appreciate. For starters, it's neat to ring in the new year with those who are dearest to us. And also, no one has to hurry off to another family gathering. There's no rush, no bustle, just gathering and enjoying each others company. And we give the kids their Christmas gifts, which is always fun.
Ava Grace is almost 2 years old! And she LOVES dogs and "horsies!"
As soon as my brother's family arrived, the American Girl Doll fans piled onto the couch to pour over the 2014 Doll of the Year catalog.
Bentlee will be 9 this month and Lily is 8 1/2! They are so grown up! It's really fun and kind of sad too.
After dinner, we piled into cars to go pick up breakfast for the morning! Krispy Kreme! And the assembly line was running!
Two of the girls had never gotten to watch it, and the other two had only recently discovered this amazing glazed wonder to the eyes. So we spent some time watching.
And then we loaded up our boxes of doughnuts and headed back to the house for....
Uncle Malcolm had bought the three oldest girls some pretty earrings from Montana Silversmith. We thought they would be pretty, but I kind of expected it to be considered a "boring" gift. Well we take turns opening gifts so everyone can see what each girl gets. Lily went first and chose to open her little box first. The delight on her face at the sight of those earrings! It was a sweet moment. And then to my surprise, upon seeing what the little boxes most likely held, Bentlee and Kenslee both chose to open their little boxes first and were both equally thrilled. In fact everyone had to have their earrings put in right away. And then we paused in the gift unwrapping for a picture with Malcolm.
Gifts unwrapped, and everyone happy, so the kids settled in to play with their new treasures...
...and the grown ups visited...
...and awaited the arrival of the new year.
We went all out this year! Someone had supplied us all with hats and noise makers, and there were even some fireworks to set off out in the driveway...in the freezing cold! But the kids loved it and the grown ups had a lot of fun too. And then we went to bed.
We ALL had a slumber party at Mom and Dad's. All except Ken and Sarah who only live 3 miles down the road. But the girls stayed, and had a big slumber party in the living room with Grandmommy and Papaw. It was Kenslee's first sleepover at Grandmommy's and she did great! It was lots of fun!
In the morning we all pitched in to help fix breakfast...
...and then we finally got to do some serious doughnut eating! Along with some other good stuff.
We all stayed the rest of the day. Parade watching, football, a big family game of Pictionary, and a dinner of blackeyed peas and collard greens! Mom and I are in agreement that this was THE best Christmas/New Years ever!
Holiday over, Malcolm and I resumed the project that we had started back before Christmas. MY KITCHEN!
It was off white with burgundy trim. Very '90's and very not me! It also had smudges and scratches on the walls. And I've been wanting to paint for some time. With no truck needing attention, and all this time on our hands, it was the perfect time to dig in and get it over with. So we did.
And as usual, Malcolm went above and beyond and decided to cut a cabinet down and install the new microwave/exhaust that we've had for several years, but never got put in.
He also put in the new dishwasher. He had help on that job. I don't know how we did it without her.
In fact we had help through the whole project, and had to keep telling them to get out of the kitchen.
It was hard on them. Especially Ella who was traumatized by her house being destroyed.
But somehow we all survived the lengthy project and upheaval in the house, and the finished product is SO worth it all! I LOVE my new kitchen!

There's still some little touches that need attention, but for now, we've cleaned up. We'll finish next time we're home.
This weekend it turned off bitter cold, as it did in most of the country it seems. We have been supplementing out heat with the wood stove, and we were running low of fire wood.
This tree fell in the horse pasture last Spring and we hadn't gotten to it yet. So we decided to spend the last day of warmer temps to get outside and cut it up.
We had some help, and I enjoyed the company. It was a nice day spent outside.

That about sums up the last few weeks. Hopefully we'll be pulling out of here in sometime in the next few days. We're getting things set up to leave. I know we did that before, but this time I think we'll actually get to leave.
So...that said...my next post really WILL be from the road. I'm serious this time!


  1. Wishing you all good luck from here on in 2014!
    Happy trails!
    Keep on truckin!

  2. Wow, 6 weeks at home- heaven! Even if the reason for the extended stay wasn't so hot. What a wonderful family gathering you had, lots of quality time there. Love all the 4 legged help you had on all the projects- and the kitchen color is so warm and cosy!